Thursday, May 8, 2014

April was National Poetry Month



Poetry Read in 2014

Catma
My Dear, Dear Stagger Grass
Nest
Birthmark
Despite Gravity
Noticing Eden
Women and the Men
Love Poems
Those Who Ride the Night Winds
Bicycles
There's a Box in the Garage You Can Beat With a Stick
Transfer
Left-Handed: Poems
Aerial
Slow Lightning
Dog Songs
The World's Wife
The Open Door: One Hundred Poems, One Hundred Years of
Her book: Poems
The Pajamaist



I read so much poetry for National Poetry Month in 2014 that I'm not even sure how to talk about it.  A recent addition to our eBooks at work gave me access to a bunch of eBooks of poetry published in the last three years, which was fantastic for tracking down copies of recently reviewed works.  I also rediscovered that I work where the SC Poetry Archives is housed, and was able to take advantage of that collection by sneaking 15 minutes here and there and reading some of those poems in the reading room.

Some of my highlights:

Fifteen Iraqi Poets edited by Dunya Mikhail
The Open Door: One Hundred Poems, One Hundred Years of "Poetry" Magazine edited by Don Share
Slow Lightning by Eduardo C. Corral

My favorite poem that isn't a new one but was new to me comes from The Open Door:
Rendezvous by Edna St. Vincent Millay

It is from 1939 but the last line in particular really made me smile:
And I wish I did not feel like your mother.
Now that it is May, I am back flagging books of poetry to read for next year's poetry month, so if you come across anything you'd recommend, send it my way any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.