Sunday, April 18, 2021

Google no longer supports email subscribers - feedback needed!

I had to remove the email subscription gadget from my blog layout today, and I remember adding it based on requests from people who preferred consuming Reading Envy content that way. My FeedBurner didn't show any email addresses currently subscribed in that way, but in case you were, this is your notice that you will need to find another solution!

There are RSS feeds, of course, and whatever feed reader you might have adopted over the years. I never got over Google Reader's demise and all my solutions didn't work out. I use Instagram to follow most people I follow, but even I have moved to email subscription of people who blog more content than they post to social media. (I also don't post all posts to social media, hmm.)

I've seen some podcasts take to newsletters. Should I explore that? It could include a monthly post roundup. Should I finally bite the bullet and move to WordPress? Moving platforms is such a pain and hassle but I would do it to keep the people who have been following all along.

Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. A useful overview of Feedburner alternatives is https://feedburner-alternatives.com. It might help you figure out the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If this is headed toward a shutdown like Google reader, I'll need to find a replacement. I use Feedburner for my podcast feed as well.

      Delete
  2. I have been following your blog for years and just have it bookmarked.
    I don't know about your idea of a newsletter.. I subscribe to so many that I end up reading none.
    Best regards from Gail in Washington State

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.