Sunday, May 19, 2019

Review: Daisy Jones & The Six

Daisy Jones & The Six Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Daisy Jones & the Six tells the story about a 70s rock band in the form of interviews with band members. It is fantastic as an audiobook with separate actors for each character. I really wanted to go listen to the music and found it super disappointing to have to keep reminding myself this band did not exist (the style the story is told makes it feel real.) I did find a Spotify playlist from the publisher of listen alikes - Fleetwood Mac, Patti Smith, etc.

The blurb makes it sound like the story is all about uncovering why the band broke up, maybe trying to capitalize on the reveal element that was in the author's last novel, but to me that tiny moment was not the big event. It's the band - the relationships, the addictions, the creative energy - that make it worth the read.

(The day I finished this, it was named as one of the selections for the Tournament of Books Summer Reading (called Camp ToB, so I expect even more people to pick it up!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.