Friday, May 31, 2019

Review: Biloxi

Biloxi Biloxi by Mary Miller
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Biloxi is about 62 year old Louis, who is trying to figure out how to live after his wife left, his father died, and he "retires" from his job.

Louis reminds me of Ignatius J. Reilly (A Confederacy of Dunces) if suddenly left to his own devices as an older man, but not in a funny way. He doesn't really know who he is without his roles with other people, he doesn't know how to take care of himself (but then gets a dog,) and he does a lot of things out habit that he doesn't even enjoy (watching Fox News seems to be one of these things.) This is probably a pretty realistic depiction of aging these days.

I would have liked the perspectives of the other characters because they are obviously seeing that he needs looking after. I didn't find it to feel particularly southern the way it is described, maybe just not big city.

I'm trying to catch up on my eARC backlog. This came out May 21 from LiveRight.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.