Sunday, March 31, 2019

Review: The Vela

The Vela The Vela by Yoon Ha Lee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When the people at Serial Box asked if I'd be interested in trying this story out, it was the authors that had me saying an immediate yes. Becky Chambers and Rivers Solomon were both authors I had read and loved; they collaborated on this serial project along with Yoon Ha Lee and S.L. Huang, authors I haven't read yet but will try now.

Serial Box releases chapters the way some tv shows release episodes - and you can pay for access to an episode or a season, or wait for them to be published as a standalone book.

The setting of this story is a dying star and the people on its planets trying to find a way to survive. The outer planets have been forced into refugee status and the inner planets are not feeling very generous. Asala travels to a far planet on a quest, somewhere with a history that is threatening. Her travel companion seems inexperienced and their motives are questionable. I enjoyed it but I was glad not to have to wait for each "episode." One thing I've learned is that when I'm into a story, I want to have access to all of it! So I would be more of a buy the complete project type of reader.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.