Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Review: Bottled Goods (Fairlight Moderns): Longlisted for Women's Prize for Fiction 2019

Bottled Goods (Fairlight Moderns): Longlisted for Women's Prize for Fiction 2019 Bottled Goods (Fairlight Moderns): Longlisted for Women's Prize for Fiction 2019 by Sophie van Llewyn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had not heard of this book before it was announced as one of the Women's Prize long list. It is a short read told in flash style, like lists and little vignettes, set in Romania during the Ceaușescu era (1970s.)

Alina married a man in a lower class and really starts to regret it when his brother leaves the country without permission, making them a new target for the secret police. Mix that kind of oppression and intrigue with a folksy fantasy element and you end up with a unique read! I loved the ending, at least how I interpret it. If you read it, let me know so we can confer.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I just finished it and am still mullingover the ending. Curious what you made of it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.