Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Review: Premonitions

Premonitions Premonitions by Elizabeth Schmuhl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've read this collection three times and it sends a chill up my spine every time. The cover is pastels and the illustrations are watercolor in feel but the poems are about self-harm and blood and gore but in reaction or in an attempt to connect to nature. Everything is so visceral and disturbing in a very effective way. I can't quote from it because I have a review copy. The imagery accompanying the collection makes me think the intention is ethereal, spiritual, connection to nature; all the reviews o her website talk about nature's ghosts and the sensory nature but I felt it went much darker. And revisiting them was a delightful shudder.

See for yourself with five poems that are in this collection, on Hobart Pulp.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me early access; this collection became available 17 September 2018.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.