Sunday, January 31, 2016

New Books In, January 2016

Heart of the Original by Steve Aylett
Year's Best Weird Fiction, Vol. 2 edited by Kathe Koja
Eleanor by Jason Gurley
The Sunlit Night by Rebecca Dinerstein

This month's piles includes two review books and two books I bought brand new! The Aylett came to my work mail, unrequested. It appears to be a book on creativity by a science fiction author; I hadn't heard about it but I'm always interested in that topic so I'm looking forward to it. The Gurley was on the Blogging for Books list and I had not done one of those in a while. I should get to that one soon.

I bought the Koja because it included a Nathan Ballingrud story I had not yet read (I interviewed him for Episode 041 of the podcast). I've already read the entire volume. The Dinerstein has been on my radar for a while and I just went for it.

On a more personal, unpublished and unavailable note, my Grandma passed away at the beginning of December. I was unable to go to the memorial service, as were several of my cousins. My family made sure I got a copy of the updated memoir, which two of my cousins had worked with my grandma to update. I'm lucky in that I got to see her twice in the past two years, despite living across the country from her. I feel even more lucky that I have her story in her own words.

One memorable tidbit - finding out that her parents made liquor in the basement during prohibition. A little rebellion streak goes through both sides of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.