Saturday, August 1, 2020

Books Read July 2020: 165-193

In July, I still had no physical library access, so I read books I had access to at home. Thankfully that includes a lot of digital content, from ARCs to library eBooks. It also includes more books from my shelves, huzzah! I'm still not consuming audio except a sprinkling of podcasts here and there. This month's ReadtheWorld challenge was for Eastern Europe, and I learned I may not exactly understand the political history of Moldova. When I tackle Eastern Europe more deeply next year, I hope to untangle some of that confusion. For now it's on to August, which is Women in Translation month!

Pictured: July's 5-star reads

165. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
166. The Lightness by Emily Temple ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
167. Broken Harbor by Tana French ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
168. Eat Joy by Natalie Garrett, ed. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
169. Daughters of Smoke and Fire by Ava Homa  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
170. How We Fight For Our Lives by Saeed Jones ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
171. That We May Live by Various, translated by Various ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
172. Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (print galley; my review)
173. Girl Gone Viral by  Alisha Rai  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Libby eBook; my review)
174. Sorcery & Cecelia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede & Caroline Stevermer ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
175. Crooked Hallelujah by Kelli Jo Ford ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
176. Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi, translated by Geoffrey Trousselot ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
177. In an Absent Dream by  Seanan McGuire ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Libby eBook; my review)
178. The Dreaming, Vol. 1 by Simon Spurrier, Dan Watters, Nalo Hopkinson, Kat Howard; illustrated by Bilquis Evely, Abigail Larson, Domo Stanton, Tom Fowler ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
179. The Good Life Elsewhere by Vladimir Lorchenkov, translated by Ross Ufberg ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
180. Mountolive by Lawrence Durrell ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
181. Monogamy by Sue Miller  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
182. My Grandmother's Hands by Resmaa Menakem ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
183. Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1 by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Christian Ward ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
184. Mother of All Pigs by Malu Halasa ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
185. Inconvenient Daughter by Lauren J. Sharkey ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
186. Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (print galley; my review)
187. We Had No Rules by Corinne Manning ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from publisher; my review)
188. Amora by Natalia Borges Polesso, translated by Julia Sanches ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (print galley; my review)
189. Sex and Vanity by Kevin Kwan  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
190. The Umbrella Academy, Vol 2: Dallas by Gerard Way, illustrated by Gabriel Bá ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
191. A Love Story for Bewildered Girls by Emma Morgan ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (print galley; my review)
192. Spring by Karl Ove Knausgaard, translated by Ingvild Burkey ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Libby eBook; my review)
193. My Favorite Girlfriend was a French Bulldog by Legna Rodríguez Iglesias, translated by Megan McDowell ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (print galley; my review)

Still reading at the end of July:
Chilling Effect by Valerie Valdes
Polar Vortex by Shani Mootoo
Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell

Total Books Read: 29
5-star reads: 7

Audiobook: 0
eBook: 18
Print: 11

Library: 9
Personal: 6 (subscription: 1)
Review: 14

Comics: 3
Crime: 1
Memoir: 2
Non-fiction: 4
Sci-fi/fantasy: 7
Translated: 5
YA/children: 3

Around the World: 11
Middle East 2020: 4
Read the World: 1
Sci-Fi July: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.