Sunday, April 30, 2017

National Poetry Month 2017



My goal was to read one poetry collection PER DAY for National Poetry Month. I am one collection short! However In Praise of Defeat was 800 pages, quite a bit longer than the usual 60-120 page poetry collection (although to be fair, half those pages were in French!)

My five-star reads for National Poetry Month:

In Praise of Defeat by Abdellatif Laabi, translated by Donald Nicholson-Smith (2017)
Satan Says by Sharon Olds (1980)
Rowing Inland by Jim Daniels (2017)
Readings from the Book of Exile by Padraig O' Tuoma (2012)
Terra Incognita by Adebe De Rango-Adem (2015)
Even This Page is White by Vivek Shraya (2016)
Sorry for Your Troubles by Padraig O' Tuoma (2013)
A Place Called No Homeland by Kai Cheng Thom (2017)

I have to say thanks to Edelweiss and NetGalley because I had quite a few poetry galleys through access to publishers there. Poetry is often published by small presses, and particularly when it is translated or from Canada, it might never cross my radar otherwise. And of my favorites, three are Canadians (all writing about gender and race!), and one is translated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.