Sunday, June 28, 2015

Library Books June 2015


This will be a short post! I typically post library books mid-month and we are staring into July right now.  I took the picture earlier but forgot to post. These are all from the public library, which is a rarity for me! I usually use our statewide academic library borrowing system if a book exists within it, or even request books from interlibrary loan more often than I go to the public library. It's about convenience, not that my public library doesn't do a good job (they do, mostly, except when they censor books.)
 
Your Personal Paleo Code by Chris Kresser
Daytripper by Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá

Two out of three of the genres represented here make sense to be available at the public library but not found in any of the academic libraries in the state. Not many academic libraries have a strong graphic novel collection (Daytripper) and personal health/pop science/diet books are more of a public library thing. I have seen a few of the vegan bloggers I follow turn to paleo and start eating meat again after health problems, and one of them recommended the Kresser. I found it disappointing for several reasons - you really can't be a paleo vegetarian, so I'd really have to make a huge change, and all but 10% of the book is the same old stuff - sleep, drink water, move your body. 

The graphic novel I had on my to-read list a while but a review sent me to find it, it was glowing and effusive. I enjoyed it but perhaps not to that level.

The Herrera is a book I spied as I walked out of the library with one of the others. I loved the title and that got me to pick it up. The description of living along the border in Mexico sounded current and it looked like a quick read. It's sometimes difficult to find modern Mexican literature that has been translated (and isn't just the standard authors) so I was quite pleased to come across this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.