Thursday, December 9, 2021

Review: The Women's Coffee Shop

The Women's Coffee Shop The Women's Coffee Shop by Andriana Ierodiaconou
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Angelou is a single woman in Cyprus who runs a "coffee shop" for women. The story starts with the death of her friend, Avraam Salih, a man born to a Christian and a Muslim and thus widely ostracized on the island.

I like that the author is Cypriot but the contents are better suited to a short story. Lines and scenes are repeated frequently for no apparent reason and this made it a bit of a slog to read. I appreciate that she had people along a sex and gender spectrum and navigating religious difference in different ways, and the scene where she confronts a priest is pretty great.

I think I'll end up reading 3 books set in Cyprus for my Europe 2021 challenge, but maybe only one from a native author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.