Thursday, September 30, 2021

Review: Great Circle

Great Circle Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This could not be renewed at the library so it was now or never. The story is 90% a female pilot in the 20th century with enough dips into other storylines to want to go back to Marian. Do I think it will win the Booker? I'd be surprised, but I enjoyed the read.

Additional thoughts after recording about it and responding to comments...

I feel like by the time the author got to the actual great circle trip, I didn't need to read it, it almost felt redundant. I was all in on the side characters during Marian's time period but didn't need the contemporary time period except for what that allows us to learn about Marian (this could have been included a different way, perhaps.

The characters are all individually contemplating their sexuality which sometimes felt forced. I'm not a prude but I'm not sure it always fit? It stood out a bit awkwardly.

I did fall into the trap of f0orgetting Marian wasn't real. I like the historical fiction approach where the place and events are real but the people are made up.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. "I enjoyed the read" but you rated it 0 out of 5 stars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodreads and Blogger no longer fully communicate so I have to remember to come back to Blogger, open the post, and paste in the full review. I gave it 5 stars!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.