Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Review: Landscape Painted with Tea

Landscape Painted with Tea Landscape Painted with Tea by Milorad Pavić
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This gorgeous edition has been on my shelves since I very first started collecting books for what I called my Around the World challenge in 2012. It's just never stopped. But in my focus on Europe in 2021, I have a shelf of books like this that have been with me an unread for too long.

Set in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, at least in part, the story starts with an architect in search of his father, an officer who vanished in Greece during World War II. This journey takes him to Mount Athos and quickly turns into a lot of italicized portions detailing dreams, stories, myths, fables, etc. I've dropped this book a lot as it drifted me off to sleep.

The second half is based on a crossword with esoteric segments that vary between raunchy and mystical and frankly gave me a huge headache. I can tell this author thinks highly of myself but it took me since January to force my way through it. The conclusion is so ridiculous and annoying, well can you tell what I think of this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.