Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Books Read March 2020: 51-76

March was a month where some reading goals (The Odyssey) came to fruition while other reading goals (Faulkner) had to be gently let go of, with the world and its circumstances, not being able to meet in person to discuss a difficult author made me call it at 5 Faulkner novels for the year. Some day I may return to finish the pile, but I still feel I accomplished a goal!

Some of this month's five-star reads are surprising - two were The Odyssey, one because of the narration by Claire Danes. Two were novels with queer themes, published this year, both great reads for different reasons. Two were found in Hoopla at the end of the month as I grasped for the right read for my tired and anxious brain. Hoopla provided bonus downloads (not a paid advertisement) that led me to the Neil Gaiman retelling with the most gorgeous art, and a small quiet science/memoir book that I've been meaning to read for a while now.

You'll see so many four-star reads this month, and that's really the sweet spot. And while they may not be breathtakingly perfect books, anything with four stars is well worth reading. I'd check out my reviews, linked for each book, to learn more about any particular title of interest.

Pictured: March's 5-star Reads

51. Weather by Jenny Offill ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (library copy, my review)
52. Light in August by William Faulkner ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
53. Truth or Beard by Penny Reid, narrated by Joy Nash & Chris Brinkley ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla audiobook; my review)
54. Writers & Lovers by Lily King ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
55. b, Book, and Me by Kim Sagwa, translated by Sunhee Jeong ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
56. Under the Rainbow by Celia Laskey ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
57. The Last Taxi Driver by Lee Durkee ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
58. Knitting the Fog by Claudia D. Hernandez ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
59. The Beet Queen by Louise Erdrich ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (library copy; my review)
60. The Deep by Alma Katsu ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
61. Mustard, Milk, and Gin by Megan Denton Ray ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
62. Overthrow by Caleb Crain ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
63. The Odyssey by Homer, translated by Emily Wilson ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
64. The Odyssey by Homer, translated by Emily Wilson, narrated by Claire Danes ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Audible audiobook; my review)
65. Real Life by Brandon Taylor ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (review copy; my review)
66. The Seep by Chana Porter ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from publisher; my review)
67. Hull by Xandria Phillips ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from publisher; my review)
68. How to Be Fine by Jolenta Greenburg and Kristen Meinzer ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
69. My Year of Living Spiritually by Anne Bokma ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
70. We Inherit What the Fires Left by William Evans ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
71. The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
72. Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (ARC from publisher; my review)
73. Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla bonus download; my review)
74. #VERYFAT #VERYBRAVE by Nicole Byer ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
75. The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Hoopla eBook; my review)
76. The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)

Total Books Read: 26
DNF: 2 (not in this list)

Audiobook: 2
eBook: 15
Print: 9

ARC/Review copy: 14
Library: 6
Personal: 6

ErdrichMedicineReadalong: 1
Faulkner class: 1
Middle East 2020: 0
TBR Explode: 0
Tournament of Books: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.