Sunday, May 21, 2017

Review: Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories

Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories by Mariana Enríquez
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book of short stories feels very real, about poverty and children navigating the dangerous urban environments of Argentina, and then suddenly there are things that are unexplained. Sometimes they seem to be due to violence of humans, and other times they appear supernatural. The true horror is that you are never completely certain, and people disappear, or lives are lost. Either way there is no method of control in the environment.

Some of my favorites:

"The Dirty Kid"
A woman notices a homeless boy and then thinks he is killed, and then it gets weird.

"The Inn"
I liked this, the details, the friendship, the chorizo, the relationship alluded to but not detailed (the father and the innkeeper) and the larger "horror" setting.

"Adela's House"
So terrifying to not have an answer, to wonder at what is being implied, is it fantastical or violence related? Phew.

I feel very grateful to have my "Newest Literary Fiction" group to urge me on to reading books like this, and this was a buddy read for May 2017.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.