Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume 6

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume 6The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume 6 by Jonathan Strahan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I got this from NetGalley, and it comes out March 6. If you enjoy short stories or science fiction/fantasy, you should definitely read this!

I had a few favorite authors with stories in this volume, but surprisingly (to me), those stories weren't my favorite. They were still great, but others really stood out:

The friendship/romance in Steam Girl by Dylan Horrocks - so touching!

The Invasion of Venus by Stephen Baxter was thought provoking about humanity's place in the universe. That sounds so somber, but this story was.

Woman Leaves Room by Robert Reed is just a twist on a concept that I don't want to give away, but is definitely an experiment in cognition.

The Onset of a Paranormal Romance by Bruce Sterling started slow for me but by the end I wanted to reread the entire story again, and did. There are two sections, Lover A, and Lover B. Nothing is how you assume.

Goodnight Moons by Ellen Klages was cute, about a child born in space.

My favorite story - The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees by E. Lily Yu. Anyone who loves Catherynne Valente would love this story. It was beautiful to imagine in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.