Monday, January 3, 2022

Reading Europe in 2021

 

Countries of Europe with pins on the countries I read books from. List below will provide that info.

Link to map

Heading into another year of reading around the world in 2021, I decided to turn my focus on Europe. I had a few goals with the focus:

1. To get to the countries I hadn't read yet. And Europe has a lot of random countries!

2. To clear out some of the books I've been collecting since 2012.

I did get to 11 locations (mostly countries, some places that are separate from the countries they "belong to") I hadn't yet read, so that felt pretty great. I read 44 overall, which was 16% of my reading for 2021, so I did really devote a considerable amount of time to doing this.

I did also clear out a hefty chunk of my backlog of print books, but of course the siren song of new books is always strong. Did I get to all of the print books I wanted to? Well no. I haven't decided yet if I'll keep those that I have left or not. I'll probably decide that title by title.

I did have a few favorites - A Spare Life for fiction and Mud Sweeter than Honey for non-fiction.


Here's the full list! Keep in mind that I've been reading around the world for 10 years, so I have previously read quite a bit of Europe. You can view my extensive location shelves in Goodreads.


Albania

The Doll by Ismail Kadare
Mud Sweeter than Honey: Voices of Communist Albania by Margo Rejmer

Andorra
32 Yolks by Eric Ripert


Armenia

Rise the Euphrates by Carol Edgarian


Azerbaijan
Days in the Caucasus by Banine


Belarus
Red Crosses by Sasha Filipenko


Bosnia

Catch the Rabbit by Lana Bastašić

My Heart by Semezdin Mehmedinović, translated by Celia Hawkesworth

Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacco


Bulgaria
Stork Mountain by Miroslav Penkov


Croatia
The Age of Skin by Dubravka Ugrešic

We Trade Our Night for Someone Else’s Day by Ivana Bodroźić


Cyprus

The Women’s Coffee Shop by Andriana Ierodiaconou
The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop


France
The Paris Connection by Lorraine Brown


Germany

An Inventory of Losses by Judith Schalansky

Love in Case of Emergency by Daniela Krien

Nightwood by Djuna Barnes


Hungary

Embers by Sándor Márai


Ireland

Milkman by Anna Burns

Northern Spy by Flynn Berry

Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe


Italy

Last Summer in the City by Gianfranco Calligarich

Voices in the Evening by Natalia Ginzburg

Whereabouts by Jhumpa Lahiri


Jersey, Isle of
The Girl from the Channel Islands by Jenny Lecoat


Latvia
Soviet Milk by Nora Ikstena


Luxembourg

The Expats by Chris Pavone


Monaco

Loser Takes All by Graham Greene


Montenegro

Catherine the Great and the Small by Olja Knezevic 


North Macedonia
A Spare Life by Lidja Dimkovska


Norway
The Pastor by Hanne Ørstavik; translated by Martin Aitken

The Sunlit Night by Rebecca Dinerstein (Knight)


Poland
Maybe Esther: A Family Story by Katja Petrowskaja


Romania

If You Kept a Record of Sins by Andrea Bajani


Serbia

Landscape Painted with Tea by Milorad Pavić


Slovakia

Embers by Sándor Márai


Slovenia

Panorama by Dušan Sarotar


Spain

Permafrost by Eva Baltasar


UK

Iona: Poems by Kenneth Steven (Hebrides Islands)

The Lighthouse Witches by C.J. Cooke 

Once There Were Wolves by Charlotte McConaghy
Open Water by Caleb Azumah Nelson
Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (Shetland Islands)


Ukraine

Maybe Esther: A Family Story by Katja Petrowskaja


Vatican City
Church of Spies: The Pope’s Secret War Against Hitler by Mark Riebling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.