Thursday, January 6, 2022

Suggestions for Final Countries in Reading Around the World

My last post was about how I am so close to finishing my project now over ten years in the making of reading a book from every country plus as many island/standalone territories that are geographically unique from their parent countries as I can. I got a lot of suggestions and someone suggested I post them somewhere, so here we go.

**I will keep coming back to update this if I get more recommendations**

ASIA

Afghanistan 

    Dancing in the Mosque @pleasepeas 

    Kite Runner (I actually have this on my shelves, I read his more recent book before 2012) - @ilibbyyoung and @lauren_o_reads

 

Hong Kong

    The Impossible City by Karen Cheung


Macau

    Pilgrimages: memories of colonial Macau and Hong Kong (eBook at Furman)

Maldives

Paracel Islands

Spratly Islands

Tajikistan

Tibet

Turkmenistan


AFRICA

Burkina Faso
    So Distant from my Life by Monique Ilboudo; translated from the French by Yarri Kamara, coming Sept 2022 from Tilted Axis Press

Burundi

    Small Country @lauren_o_reads (And me realizing I own this!) 

Central African Republic

Chad

Comoros
Cote d’Ivoire

    The Bitter Side of Sweet @lauren_o_reads 

Guinea

    THE KING OF KAHEL by Tierno Monenembo @thescienceofreading 

Guinea-Bissau

Mayotte

Sao Tome and Principe

Seychelles

Togo

    An African in Greenland @end.notes 

Western Sahara


CARIBBEAN

Antigua and Barbuda

    At the Bottom of the River @lauren_o_reads 

    Jamaica Kincaid @bookynooknook and @thescienceofreading

    Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid @end.notes 

Costa Rica

Grenada

Nicaragua

    The Country Under My Skin by Gioconda Belli  @thescienceofreading and @robinlgustafson

    The Inhabited Woman by Gioconda Belli @julioinka
    Belli's poetry @thescienceofreading

    Margarita, How Beautiful the Sea by Sergio Ramírez, Michael Miller (Translator) @robinlgustafson

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

    Walcott (poetry) @end.notes
 

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines


EUROPE

Belgium

    War and Terpentine @lauren_o_reads 

Liechtenstein

Malta
Man, Isle of

San Marino


MIDDLE EAST

Bahrain


PACIFIC

Cook Islands

Timor

Fiji

    Epeli Hau’ofa @iren_jsi 

Marshall Islands

Micronesia, Federated States

Nauru

New Caldonia

Niue

Northern Mariana Islands

Solomon Islands

Tonga

    Epeli Hau’ofa @iren_jsi

Tuvalu

Vanuatu


SOUTH AMERICA

Bolivia
    The Puma Years by Laura Coleman (Andrea in my Around the World group said it was one of her top reads for 2021, and then it went on sale with the Amazon World Book Day promotion in 2022)

Easter Island
    Easter Island by Jennifer Vanderbes (good or not, I've had this on my shelf for ages)

French Guiana

Suriname

    Cynthia McLeod, The Cost of Sugar @picturetalk321

    The Riverbones by Andrew Westoll @dryapyapi  

Venezuela

    Doña Bárbara by Rómulo Gallegos - @librosintranslation 

    Night in Caracas @lauren_o_reads and @katie_sikkes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.