Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Review: Brown: Poems

Brown: Poems Brown: Poems by Kevin Young
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my favorite collection from Kevin Young yet!

Publisher blurb: "Divided into “Home Recordings” and “Field Recordings,” Brown speaks to the way personal experience is shaped by culture, while culture is forever affected by the personal, recalling a black Kansas boyhood to comment on our times."

Kansas boyhood= baseball poetry
Our times= moving, devastating tributes to young black men killed needlessly.

My favorites include all the parts of "De La Soul is Dead," which quotes a different 90s song in each one, and "Hive."

I received an advanced reader copy of this from the publisher through Edelweiss. It comes out April 17, 2018.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.