Friday, November 1, 2019

Books Read October 2019: 230-252


I only read one book I rated five stars in October, and it doesn't come out in the United States until December. But you have probably heard about it - it won the Booker Prize this year!

 Girl, Woman, Other isn't a book I expected to like. I thought it might be too much about the regionality of certain neighborhoods in London that I don't have any familiarity with. Instead it's about women whose lives intersect. A theme running through is blackness and how the long history of oppression shows up in individual lives, about how trauma lingers and memory effects the future.

There is also a large variety of sexualities and personalities, making it unputdownable. I devoured it, finishing it the day before the prize was announced.

230. Little Slaughterhouse on the Prairie by Harold Schechter ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Kindle eBook; my review)
231. Motherhood so White by Neferiti Austin ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
232. The Pursuit by Joyce Carol Oates ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
233. The Circle of Karma by Kunzang Choden ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
234. The Blue Sky by Galsan Tschinag ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
235. Crossing by Pajtim Statovci ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from publisher; my review)
236. Little Weirds by Jenny Slate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
237. There's Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (print ARC from publisher; my review)
238. Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
239. The Painted Forest by Krista Eastman ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (print ARC from publisher; my review)
240. Meet Me in the Future by Kameron Hurley ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
241. Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
242. I Hope We Choose Love by Kai Cheng Thom ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from Edelweiss; my review)
243. Say Say Say by Lila Savage ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from publisher; my review)
244. Women on Food edited by Charlotte Druckman ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
245. Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (library copy; my review)
246. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (library eBook; my review)
247. Notes from a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy; my review)
248. Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (personal copy audiobook; my review)
249. First Light by Charles Baxter ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (library copy; my review)
250. The Deep by Rivers Solomon et al ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
251. Twenty-one Truths about Love by Matthew Dicks ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)
252. Royal Holiday by Jasmine Guillory ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (eARC from NetGalley; my review)

Books Read: 23

Audiobooks: 1
eBooks: 15
Print: 7

Library copy: 3
Personal copy: 4
Review copy: 16

Asia 2019 goal: 2
TBR Explode project: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.