Friday, September 27, 2019

Review: Who Put This Song On?

Who Put This Song On? Who Put This Song On? by Morgan Parker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Morgan Parker uses her own experiences as a teenager to write this novel about a 15 year old, Morgan Parker, who struggles to find balance after being diagnosed with depression. Not only that, she is one of the only students of color in her private Christian school (and in her neighborhood, suburbia) where she is discouraged from having her own opinions. I like how her identity is also part emo, with all the appropriate musical references, and also a slight tribute to The Golden Notebook maybe?

I had a copy of this from the publisher through NetGalley. I am already a fan of Parker's poetry and although this YA novel is for a different audience, I think her selfhood and strength shine through here as well. This came out September 24, 2019.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.