Friday, February 1, 2019

Review: You Know You Want This

You Know You Want This You Know You Want This by Kristen Roupenian
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I went into these stories braced not to like them. I quite enjoyed Cat Person and the surrounding controversy, but heard these stories were full of unlikeable characters and disturbing situations. And they are, but Kristen Roupenian has an uncanny sense of the inner lives of people - their messy, uncomfortable, inner lives. There is one story in here that feels like it doesn't fit unless you think of the characters as cat people. And really, it does fit in the way that the male character is a white person upset about how the people in the country he moves to are treating him, as per usual.

I had an eARC from the publisher. This came out January 15, and I finished it in the airport on my way to Seattle.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.