Thursday, February 21, 2019

Review: Nothing But the Night

Nothing But the Night Nothing But the Night by John Williams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This cover, man, I don't know.

This is the author's debut novel, which he wrote after dropping out of college. The novel starts with a disturbing but memorable dream sequence. The main character, Arthur, is a college dropout and seems to be suffering from PTSD, but from unknown circumstances. He struggles to connect with others, and then his father comes to town.

Stoner by John Williams remains one of my favorite novels, and is not in danger of being replaced by this one. This reads more like psychological drama/horror (with some violence towards women) and/or commentary on loneliness.

This edition (NYRB Classics) has an interview with the author's wife, and that might have been my favorite thing.

I received a copy of this from the publisher through Edelweiss. It came out 12 February 2019.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.