Thursday, November 30, 2017

Review: Light Both Foreign and Domestic: A Collection

Light Both Foreign and Domestic: A Collection Light Both Foreign and Domestic: A Collection by Darin Bradley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First I should say that I always struggle with short stories. I wanted to read these because I'm a fan of Darin Bradley and I am a completist, but I must admit I feel weird writing the first review in Goodreads.

But a person who gets short stories is this author. He understands that the short story is a place to play with an idea, a fragment, and flesh it out to its logical conclusion. The topics in these range from quantum algorithms in suburbia to archival collections to basement enlightenment to ginseng harvests in a post-hipster world. There is even one story that reads like a post-apocalyptic gospel.

And because it is Bradley, you will find chewy words and a tone I always hear in my head as part Jimmy Stewart, part noir detective. (If you don't hear it too then I can't really explain it to you!)

Thanks to the publisher for providing access to this title via Edelweiss.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.