Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Reading Envy 004: Home, Frightening and Banned


For our fourth episode, we brought in Jenny's friend Karen, a reading friend she made through an online book club in a virtual world. Karen teaches Spanish at a university in the south. We had a great conversation!

Do you know what month it is?

Scott brought three books that he managed to read while flying to and fro:




Karen collected three books to discuss:




Jenny pulled three books from her recently read list:



Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
The Book of Goodbyes by Jillian Weise


A few links from our discussion:

Alison Bechdel revisits her childhood home twenty years later
A three-year-old recites Litany by Billy Collins
Google image search for Fables art


Download or listen via this link: Reading Envy 004: Home, Frightening and Banned

Subscribe to the podcast via this link: Feedburner

Or subscribe via iTunes by clicking: Subscribe.

5 comments:

  1. Great episode. I can see why Karen is a good reading buddy. Loved her picks and she added a lovely piquant element to the show. Although poetry ... all I can say is that one of my favorite poets is Shel Silverstein and another is Ogden Nash. Lowbrow ... that's where I live. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I don't know if that's lowbrow. It takes a lot of talent to make something simple and memorable!

      Delete
  2. I hear you on introverts, Scott. I always get people acting like I'm shy, but it's just that I don't really have much to say. It's probably why I rarely ever go to parties, I much prefer small gatherings.

    Another good podcast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read a couple of these.

    _Pavane_ impressed me for its alt.history worldbuilding. The end seemed a bit diffuse; maybe it'll strike me differently on rereading.

    _Fun Home_ was excellent. I wish I was still teaching my multimedia lit class, so I could use it as the graphic novel text.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.