Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Library Books Mid-April Edition

Here are the books that have followed me home in the past thirty days (and I promise this is the last picture I'll take with the creepy bunny):

What is Found There: Notebooks on Poetry and Politics by Adrienne Rich
Walking into the Night by Olaf Olafsson
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
Slow Lightning by Eduardo C. Corral
The World's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy
Aerial by Bin Ramke
Summer's End by Adalet Ağaoğlu
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
Left Handed by Jonathan Galassi
Amiri Baraka & Edward Dorn: The Collected Letters
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

Can you tell it is National Poetry Month?  There are two more that I got from the library but had to return (or had to read in Special Collections) - Fifteen Iraqi Poets and The Open Door joined Rich, Corral, Duffy, Ramke, Galassi, and another pile of books owned and purchased, in a poetry reading binge that will continue up until April 30. 

Olafsson, Kent, and Ağaoğlu are for various world literature reading challenges, although the Kent is also shortlisted for the Baileys' Women's Prize for Fiction this year, so I want to read it for two reasons.

I've never read The Giver.  Every once in a while I'll happen across a book I probably should have read long ago but never did.  And now they're making a movie, so the time is now.  It is actually book 1 of a quartet.

Relish is a book I've wanted to read for a while and I know it won't take long once I sit down to look through it.  It has the cutest cover ever and I'll probably have to own it.  It is a foodie graphic novel.  Has that been done before?  Not that I know of.

Speaking of graphic novels, I picked up the Bechdel after it was a central figure in a major defunding/censorship case in my state.  We discussed it at length on the 4th episode of the Reading Envy podcast if you are interested/disgusted by censorship the way I am!  I had previously read the sequel to Fun Home, so I was thrilled to finally get to this one.

Geek Love is the last book I brought home, just this afternoon - it is the May pick for a book club I participate in online.  The book is from 1999 but lately has come up in numerous places, so the stars are aligned to read this book (if there are reading stars.)


There were a few more that never left the library, in the sense that my office is inside a library and they were work-reading:
Tackling Depression at Work by Kerrie Eyers and Gordon Parker
But you Look Just Fine: Unmasking Depression, Anxiety, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder and Seasonal Affective Disorder by Sahar Abdulaziz and Carol Sveilich
The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon
Topkapi Palace: Milestones in Ottoman History by İlber Ortaylı

Topkapi Palace wasn't really work reading but it's a heavy coffee table type book that I didn't want to lug home.  Otherwise I have a goal this year to better understand depression, so I've been doing some reading when I have a few spare minutes at work.  Since this doesn't happen often, The Noonday Demon remains unopened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.