Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Top Ten Books I'm Looking Forward to Reading in the Spring

This week's Top Ten Tuesday, brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish, is all about the books on your Spring TBR list, either books you're meaning to read or new releases.

Review Copies

I do get an inordinate number of review copies between NetGalley and SFF Audio, but a few have really peaked my interest for spring.

 

1. Sister Mine by Nalo Hopkinson - one of the Caribbean fantasy writers I haven't yet read (there are three!), about a girl born to a magical family without magic. 
2. Oz Reimagined edited by John Joseph Adams - new takes on the characters and stories of Oz, sounds fun.
3. Extinction Point by Paul Antony Jones - post-apocalyptic, read by someone I enjoy listening to - should be a good one.

If I don't return these to the library, I will have to buy them

I can't be the only one who does this.  I check out books with good intentions and then renew ad nauseum and still never read them.  This spring, I swear!


 

4. Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier - I even started this once and liked it, and it will be a good travel narrative.  It is a mighty tome and I think that stops me from going back to it.
5. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - This was on SO MANY lists last year, and nominated for so many awards.  I'll be going to Nashville early May and I hope to have time to visit her bookstore there, so maybe that will help me read it before then.
6. The Storytelling Animal by Jonathan Gottschall - I checked this out when I was still going to teach my storytelling class THIS May.  That's been delayed a year but I still want to read this early on.  I'm in a storytelling "faculty learning community" at the university for spring, but we are reading another book for those discussions (Wired for Story.)

Upcoming for Book Groups

I'm in five million book groups and clubs (not quite but it seems like it), so I have a few things on my radar that I'll surely get to this spring. 

 

7. The Heart of Redness by Zakes Mda - This is for my Great African Reads group, and I just got a copy yesterday through interlibrary loan.
8. Bliss by O. Z. Livaneli - Another Turkish read from my World's Literature group, since we are focusing on Turkey this year.  The description sounds dark. 

Something for Myself

Finally this category of books I genuinely just want to read.  No lists, no obligation, just for me.

 

9. Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell - I've loved everything she's written, her short stories more than her novel, and this is another set of stories.  I have a review audio copy but need to figure out how to make the tracks go in order.  I might just get it in print.
10. The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman - I think this was longlisted for the Booker last year and I could have read it then if it had been available, but more than anything I want to read it because it sounds like a lot of fun.  

2 comments:

  1. I like seeing a nice range of books on your list -- it's nice to see someone reading so many different things.

    Here's my TTT for the week. Happy (Spring) reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good collection of books. I want to read bliss by O.Z. Livaneli. These days I'm about to finish my book "The Equation". It is an ultimate book. Everyone must read it.

    Regards,
    Henry Jordan
    The Equation game

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.