Thursday, October 6, 2011

World's Longest Book Meme? 11-20

Well, hello there.  I'm back to do another ten questions that I got from Julie at Happy Catholic.  I'm not Catholic, but I'm pretty happy, I guess.  I grabbed a picture from my webcam folder demonstrating how I read to keep track of details I want to mention by the time I review something.  That is one of three volumes of 2666  by Robert Bolaño that I read last year.  So much there.  Many sticky notes.  (What?  I'm not a bad librarian!  These are my books!  I take the sticky notes out, I promise!  Better than folded pages!)

By the way, am I the only one who takes really silly pictures when I'm alone in my office?  I'm pretty sure it is in my genetic structure.  You should see my little sister (who is still in college) and her webcam albums in Facebook.

I feel like I'm procrastinating.  I'm treading water on a bunch of books right now, because I'm reading too many at once.  That is why I am happy to bring you a meme instead of a book review!  Stay tuned, because I'll probably hit the last page of several books at once.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
All of the time!  In 2008, I only read books others recommended.  Sometimes it sucked, but most of the time it was so rewarding that I haven't really stopped that practice.  In fact, it supercharged my love of reading. If you tell me something is worth reading, I'll give it a try, and probably learn something about you in the process.  Oh how I wish I had blogged my reading back then!  Even now, while I tend to stick to a few genres + literature, I'm often pushing outside my comfort zone within those as well.  I just read a novel set in space.  It had aliens.  I didn't implode.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
General literature, fantasy (some parts), science fiction (some parts), poetry (somewhat), non-fiction as far as memoirs/biographies, music, and definitely cookbooks.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Sure.  I'm not sure I've been on one since 2001.

14. Favorite place to read?
The corner overstuffed chair in the living room, right next to the window looking into the garden/backyard.  I have dreams of a reading room that I hope to make come true some day.  I have the room, and the bookshelves, just no cozy lamp or chair yet. 

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I borrow a lot of books, and own only those I really love.  Most of the time, I don't know people who would want to borrow them.  I have loaned a few to people who love to read as much as I do, and figure they'll either return to me eventually or get loved by someone else.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Officially no. 

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Cookbooks, definitely.  Otherwise, I mark with little slips of paper (at home), post-it notes if I'm traveling and I don't want them to fall out, or I might even take notes on a separate paper.  I started thinking about reading Infinite Jest the other day, and if I ever go there, I'm going to need a notebook to keep track of all the words I've had to look up.  In audiobooks I prefer listening in Audible because that app lets me make notes, while iTunes doesn't have that ability.  I also post some quotations directly to Twitter (@readingenvy) that may never get marked or written down.

18. Not even with text books?
I always planned to sell text books back, so no.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English.

20. What makes you love a book?
Beautiful writing, the sense that it hasn't been done before, and surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.