Tuesday, October 4, 2011

2011 Scotia Bank Giller Prize Shortlist


The Antagonist
Better Living Through Plastic Explosives
The Cat's Table
The Free World
Half-Blood Blues
The Sisters Brothers




The shortlist for the Scotia Bank Giller Prize was just announced.  I followed the announcements in Twitter as they were posted from Toronto. You can already read more about the six books selected on the Giller Prize website.

This award recognizes excellence in Canadian fiction.  As someone living south of that border, I'm always interested in reading more Canadian authors.  I've already read The Sisters Brothers because of the Booker Prize longlist (and shortlist), and have had Half Blood Blues on my list for that same reason.  The last I heard from the publisher, they had signed a deal for the USA with a release date hovering around January 2012.  Perhaps yet another award nomination will move that date up?  Canada is not that far away!

Of the remaining four authors, I'm only familiar with Michael Ondaatje, author of Anil's Ghost and The English Patient.  I look forward to getting to know Lynn Coady, Zsuzsi Gartner, and David Bezmozgis through their shortlisted books.

3 comments:

  1. I just put these all on hold at the library. Excited! Although given the number of holds on the Ondaatje, there's no way I'll have them all read before the award is given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just requested them all interlibrary loan, except the two I've either read or aren't available. I like the race of trying to read them before they select, but it is never enough time!

    Did you know all these authors already?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read your review of The Cat's Table. The English Patient is one of my all-time favorite novels, and I really need to read more Ondaatje besides just The English Patient. Another one of his that I've been especially intrigued with is The Collected Works of Billy the Kid, but I feel like I need to read some background material on William Bonney first.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.