Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Review: The Painted Forest

The Painted Forest The Painted Forest by Krista Eastman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Krista Eastman revisits the area she grew up in rural Wisconsin and tries to see the land and the Midwestern mindset through the lens of an outside perspective. Her research spans historical farm texts and artwork hidden inside an aging members only type club (Woodmen).

Plus one essay about working in Antarctica.

I like the impulse of seeing a childhood place through other perspectives, and I think it's especially challenging when that place is rural and not a frequent focus of research or writing.

I think Krista really shines when she writes about people and includes her own experience (which made me like the Antarctica essay best.)

I had a review copy from the publisher because I made a comment in Twitter.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.