Sunday, January 6, 2019

Review: The Long Path to Wisdom: Tales from Burma

The Long Path to Wisdom: Tales from Burma The Long Path to Wisdom: Tales from Burma by Jan-Philipp Sendker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was the first read for my Asia 2019 reading goals, an eARC I received last year never got around to reading. But this was perfect timing. These are folktales gathered the right way - with long developed relationships with people there, from multiple people groups in the very large country (the size of Texas!) I originally went to grad school for folklore, and despite all the tales I've read, I don't remember encountering any that include astrology AND Buddhism AND animals that speak. I loved that humans don't always outsmart the animals, that monks don't always know better than astrology, and that so many of these stories are still told.

I received an early copy of this from the publisher through Edelweiss, but I'm slow and it came out already, in October 2018.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.