Thursday, December 1, 2016

Books Read in November 2016: 271-294

At the risk of repeating myself, there is still time to let me know your best read(s) of 2016! Do so by December 16 and you will be included in the Reading Envy Best of 2016 episode. More information here on how to contribute.

November was a rough reading month for many of us, losing focus, losing steam, as we tried to reconcile political outcomes with expectations. I know for me, I started out with great intentions for "Non-Fiction November," with a hefty stack of the National Book Award short list, all books on slavery and racism and other important subjects. But then they became too much to tackle, too much to handle. I turned to memoir and lighter reads.

Some of these books were reviewed in November but not really read then. I just couldn't post about them publicly because they were part of a postal book swap. So my numbers aren't off by the end of the year, I'll indicate those with brackets.



(Pictured: November's 5-star reads)

271. The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin (library book; my review)
272. The Redemption of Galen Pike by Carys Davies (postal book swap; my review)
273. The Little Red Chairs by Edna O'Brien (library book; my review)
274. The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner (library book; my review)
275. Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (Audible audiobook; my review)
276. Bright Dead Things by Ada Limon (interlibrary loan; my review)
277. Queen Sugar by Natalie Baszile (signed copy from SC Book Festival; my review)
278. Letter to a Future Lover by Ander Monson (abandoned library book; my review)
279. Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck, read by Gary Sinise (Audible audiobook; my review)
280. Voices in the Night: Stories by Steven Millhauser (library eBook; my review)
281. Hope in the Dark: Untold Histories, Wild Possibilities by Rebecca Solnit (purchased eBook; my review)
282. Light Years by James Salter (personal copy; my review)
283. Manners & Mutiny by Gail Carriger (Audible audiobook; my review)
284. The Fate of the Tearling by Erika Johansen (Edelweiss eARC; my review)
285. The Registrar's Manual for Detecting Forced Marriages by Sophie Hardach (personal copy; my review)
286. Water: New Short Story Fiction from Africa edited by Nick Mulgrew (Edelweiss eARC; my review)
287. The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu (Goodreads Giveaway; my review)
288. Pigs Can't Swim by Helen Peppe (library eBook; my review)
289. Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror edited by Ellen Datlow (NetGalley eARC; my review)
290. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson (book swap; my review)
[291.  The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald (book swap in January; my review)]
[292. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (book swap in April; my review)]
[293. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (book swap in June; my review)]
[294. Did You Ever Have a Family? by Bill Clegg (book swap in September; my review)]

2 comments:

  1. I'm in if you read East of Eden. Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors and I haven't read him in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I wonder if I should have a first-ever Reading Envy Readalong!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.