Monday, September 15, 2014

Scott's Books Added, September 2014

2014-0915Books

 
Bought some books this weekend!

Wayfaring Stranger by James Lee Burke
I've enjoyed all of James Lee Burke that I've read to date. All of them have been Robicheaux books - well written, dark, violent stories about Dave Robicheaux, a cop (ex-cop?) in Louisiana. He's an author who can write beautiful prose. When I bought this one, I thought it was standalone, but Goodreads says it's Book 1 of a series called The Holland Family. I'm 100 pages in, I'm enjoying it but am not ready to call it terrific yet. Not like any Burke I've read to date so far.

Don Quixote by Cervantes
I've been wanting to read this for a long time. Barnes and Noble has these classics - if you buy 2 you get one free. My daughter got Edgar Allan Poe and H.G. Wells, I got Don Quixote.

Proust and the Squid by Maryanne Wolf
Recommended to me by Bryan Alexander, I found this one online and it arrived this weekend. The first paragraph of the description:
The act of reading is a miracle. Every new reader's brain possesses the extraordinary capacity to rearrange itself beyond its original abilities in order to understand written symbols. But how does the brain learn to read? As world-renowned cognitive neuroscientist and scholar of reading Maryanne Wolf explains in this impassioned book, we taught our brain to read only a few thousand years ago, and in the process changed the intellectual evolution of our species.

Analog, November 2014
Next up is the latest issue of Analog Science Fiction Magazine. I recently subscribed again - in print - but my copies haven't started arriving yet. Robert R. Chase has one in here, and the cover story looks interesting.

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
I looked for this at the bookstore because Orson Scott Card mentioned it in a column. Mark Lawrence is a research scientist in the Artificial Intelligence field, and this is a fantasy - I think. From what Card said, I expect blurred genre lines. I read the first two pages in the bookstore and was hooked. Love his style.

On the shelf they go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.