Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

The Forgotten WaltzThe Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel is a great example of why not to choose books based on the reviews - most people have been really ambivalent about it, and I think I only decided to read it today because it was the only book from the Orange Prize shortlist immediately available to me, and the prize gets announced tomorrow.

This book gutted me. I'm not sure I have ever read a more realistic portrayal of the inner journey of guilt, and of how we retell stories of our own lives to ourselves. There were also moments of humor that rang true.

I wasn't actually interested in the character of Evie, which seemed important to the author. I was far more interested in Gina and her relationships.

I loved the prose at the beginning, the way the author moved in circles.

"There was... a sense in which we were reclaiming ourselves for ourselves, after some brief theft."

"If love is a story we tell ourselves then I had the story wrong. Or maybe passion is just, and always, a wrong-headed thing."

2 comments:

  1. Gina was much more interesting to me, too. This was such a beautifully written novel...I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Enright is a gifted writer, and this book again demonstrates her skill. The characters are well drawn and the novel holds your interest. It took me a while to catch on to the rhythm of the book, presented from the point of view of the main character. I think the ending could be a bit more precise--it stops quite suddenly. However, I'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.