Sunday, March 25, 2012

Open City by Teju Cole

Open CityOpen City by Teju Cole
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

I have never been to New York, but feel as if I've seen a version of it through the eyes of Julius as he walks, reflects, and wonders. He isn't just a flâneur; his upbringing in Nigeria and navigating multiple languages and countries of origin, as well as his love of music and reading, along with his work as a psychiatrist give him plenty to think about.

Frankly, I'm not surprised at all that it was in the top ten books of 2011.

"No sooner do I buy a new book than it reproaches me for leaving it unread."

"All lovers live on partial knowledge."

1 comment:

  1. I do like books that show you something familiar from the perspective of an outsider. This sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.